Thursday, March 24, 2011

Insanity

Insanity is continuing to do the same thing while expecting a different outcome. Insanity is concentrating on what we should not do, rather than what we should. Insanity is expecting God to "bail us out" when we violate His Word.

It amazes me that God trusted us with "free will," the ability to make choices! There have been those times when I've wondered why in the world He would trust me that much! That usually followed my having made the same mistake more than once.


As a child, I was such a pleaser! I wanted to please everyone: parents, teachers, friends, neighbors. It wasn't until I discovered Philippians 4:8 that I was freed from "remembering all those rules." There is was!! Later, I found Ps 37:4 and there it was again!!



The actions we repeat most often are those on which we focus our attention.




So, if we focus on what we are not supposed to do, we will do more of it. If we focus on what we are supposed to do, we will do more of that! It is so simple!


When I became stepmother to two teenagers, it was next to impossible to tell how much impact that philosophy could have with them. A few years later, when my husband and I became foster parents, I applied that idea. We focused attention on the behaviors we wanted. I carried it over, a few more years later, when I began to teach elementary school. It worked there, too!!



"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable--if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise--dwell on these things." Phil 4:8


"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Ps 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment